[conspire] bring a buntu distro disk ->xfce and Zonbu

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Sat Jan 12 12:36:20 PST 2008

On Saturday 12 January 2008 10:31:24 Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:52:21 -0800, bruce coston wrote:
> > I will TRY to remember and add a buntu distro to my stuff. Probably
> > Xubuntu, where you can apt-get install kubuntu-desktop AFTER apt-get
> > update. Unless you need a recent kernel, an upgrade SHOULD work. SHOULD
> > often means don't try it - its too dangerous. But I know nothing of
> > current buntu and maybe its safe. In fact the vista that came on my new
> > laptop treated me better than any buntu starting 2 years ago.
>
> You can do that on Xubuntu, yes, but you can also do that on Ubuntu, and
> it'll work out about the same, because Ubuntu and Xubuntu are both
> GTK-based, and Kubuntu is not. The *buntu distributions do have issues,
> like any other, but they are not the issues of two years ago.

There is an interesting new offering...
http://www.zonbu.com/home/
...a low power desktop computer using xfce as the default.
An article on Zonbu is in the current version of Linux Journal.
This seems to me to be an innovation: a low power ("green") desktop based on
Gentoo and xfce intended for people new to Linux. There is an optional backup
and support plan. Gentoo for newcomers? What's up with that?
Anyway, these are some folk who believe that xfce is quite right as part of
the human interface.

I'm now cooking a beef roast for the CABAL later.
--
Mark Weisler
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our
mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
telephone: office- (831) 531-2916
home-   (408) 867-9377
mobile- (408) 568-1229