[conspire] Finding all MS technology in Ubuntu (Was: When will came out the latest version of xxbuntu?)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 20 17:50:21 PST 2008

Quoting Adrien Lamothe (a_lamothe at yahoo.com):

[snip some very strange quoting]

> Just came across a web site where someone shows his results from a
> check of dependencies for MS technology in Ubuntu. Interesting web
> site. Check out:
>
>      http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/15/mono-contamination-in-ubuntu/

In my recent upgrade of Xubuntu to 7.10 "gutsy", I finally for the first
time spotted a Mono-based codebase in the real world -- I think it was
banshee -- and removed it.

> One question, is whether having non-functioning bits of proprietary
> technology leaves one open to infringement claims.

Your meaning is very unclear.  Do you mean libs that are no longer
required after you remove application (like banshee) that had them as
dependencies?  If so, the correct response is:  remove them!

I am very fond of deborphan and debfoster, and use them to rid my system
of junk.  (Someone else would have to supply the inevitably "aptitude"
incantations alleged to accomplish the same thing.)