[conspire] Reiser trial: DNA tests partially flubbed, defence motion for mistrial

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:09:48 PST 2008

hi

On Feb 4, 2008 9:47 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Prosecution's case is, fundamentally, this:
>
> o  Two pieces of (now-dubious) DNA blood evidence.
> o  Nina was last seen at Hans's house.
> o  Witnesses say Nina would never voluntarily abandon her children.
> o  Hans showed up to pick up the kids at school after Nina
>   disappeared but before authorities were alerted, even though it
>   was Nina's day to do pickup.  (Oddly, he then left without the
>   kids.  Eventually, Ellen Doren dropped by and took them.)
> o  Hans's car's seat was gone, floorboards wet, and two books on murder
>   investigations found in it.
> o  Days after Nina vanished, Hans was sort-of seen washing his
>   driveway at night, wearing heavy clothes on a hot autumn night.
> o  "Counter-surveillance" measures.
> o  Hans had mentioned at a school party that he'd be better off
>   without his wife.

Wow, now as I read the above, and not personally knowing anything other than
the evidence adduced above, which I take it is only evidence admitted by the
court, I am actually wondering if there was even a crime here at all.  Based
on this evidence, all we really have is a missing person and a neurotic,
sloppy man cleaning his car after having driven it around a bit near the
time that the victim was last seen.

I am inherently skeptical of mob justice, and accusing someone of murder or
even thinking of them as a murderer is such a denigration to the character
of the accused that I don't like to develop an opinion that someone is a
murderer without good cause.  And yet, I probably wouldn't want to hang out
with Hans all that much after hearing stuff like this.  Not that he would
want to hang out with an unknown simple end user like me, anyway.  heh.