[conspire] (forw) Reiser trial: DNA tests partially flubbed, defence motion for mistrial

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 6 08:42:59 PST 2008

Quoting Eric De Mund (ead-conspire at ixian.com):

> Here's a point that I need help with: If I as a juror am free to conduct
> myself in any way that is within the law, what legal weight do a judge's
> instructions/Judicial Council instructions have? It is my understanding
> that judges' instructions *do not* have the weight of law.

Well, but they do get those cool robes to wear.  ;->

(Judges tell juries how they _should_ act, and the instructions are, in
my experience, in general extremely reasonable and well-considered, but
it's inherent in the jurors' "I have a vote and will follow my conscience"
scenario that, well, you do the math.)