[conspire] (forw) Reiser trial: DNA tests partially flubbed, defence motion for mistrial

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 5 19:50:13 PST 2008

Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):

> My problem with the case is that I'm not convinced beyond a
> reasonable doubt that Nina's even dead, much less that Hans killed her.

Not dead would mean either:

1. went abroad, abandoned the kids
2. went abroad, re-united with the kids in Russia
3. is being held prisoner somewhere, unknown to the world

#1 does seem unlikely on the basis of copious evidence of (a) ongoing
involvement with the kids and (b) evidence of ongoing, active affairs in
the Bay Area and nothing especially to flee from:  She had a new job
offer, was about to shed the family indebtedness via bankruptcy and dump
almost all of it onto Hans, left a bunch of money in bank accounts and
sitting as cash around her house, etc.

#2 is the intriguing one, and much beloved of Mr. DuBois.  If I were
Hans and were innocent, I'd have long ago hired private detectives in
St. Petersburg to investigate.

#3 is logically possible, but there's no evidence.

There is certainly no direct evidence of her death, but she certainly
vanished utterly and suddenly from an active and ongoing life.