[conspire] Avoid Acer and Best Buy , especially for a Laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 4 18:32:02 PST 2008

Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> I can't believe whats going on with this laptop. The bad power system
> on my acer 5420-5687 is all over the web now. Acer insists I go
> through Best Buy. Best Buy is willing to do the return if I restore it
> to 'original condition'. Unfortunately the external drive I used to
> save the recovery partition to was ntfs and appears to have mangled
> it. Any ideas.?

Tell them that the OS munched itself and can no longer boot.  (You were
investigating when the PSU went dodgy.)  Keep it simple:  Your posture
should be that you're just a simple user with a defective box -- albeit
one who has the California Department of Consumer Affairs on speed-dial.

BTW, did you buy through a credit card, and do so recently?  Then, you
have more leverage, courtesy of your ability to inform your bank that
you're disputing the charge using your rights under the Fair Credit
Billing Act to refuse to pay for defective goods.

Did you buy the goods in Santa Clara County?  If so, you can get help
through the Division of Consumer Affairs, which is under the Department
of Community Services.

You should also consider filing a BBB complaint.  Note that they look
squeaky-clean, at the moment, to anyone searching the BBB database:
http://www.mnd.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=96086964&language=1