[conspire] How to break the whole Web PKI framework, using PS3s

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 00:02:09 PST 2008

If a PS3 is worth 40 Intel processor cores clocked at 3GHz, and the
OLPC XO has a 433 MHz AMD Geode, then 200 PS3s comes to something on
the order of 75,000 XOs, with a quite large error bar. Several
countries have ordered several times that number. ;->

Conspiracy theorists used to talk about China destroying US cities by
having the entire population jump up and down in phase. Now a bunch of
schoolkids are in a position to take down the Net. Any spammeister's
zombie network could do it. You could write a Boinc client for it,
pretending that it was for solving some arcane math problem.

I see that the Cell processor includes a PPC core, and that Yellow Dog
Linux is available for it.

"IBM's latest supercomputer, IBM Roadrunner, is a hybrid of General
Purpose CISC Opteron as well as Cell processors. This system assumed
the #1 spot on the June 2008 Top 500 list as the first supercomputer
to run at petaFLOPS speeds, having gained a sustained 1.026 petaFLOPS
speed using the standard linpack benchmark."--Wikipedia

"...with 12,960 IBM PowerXCell 8i CPUs and 6,480 AMD Opteron dual-core
processors..."--Also Wikipedia

Rudy Rucker, in Wetware, wrote about "petaflop bopper" robots on the
moon breaking the encryption locks on the "Asimov" slaves on Earth
that were under the Laws of Robotics. Sadly (from a purely fannish
point of view), no. Breaking the encryption, yes, but strong AI, lots
harder than that.

Vernor Vinge, in Rainbows End, wrote about a government agent issuing
bulk revocations against a major Certificate Authority, with ensuing
global disruption. This now appears to be within the reach of most
governments.

And Children are my nation.