[conspire] "Fear of Forking" comments

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 16 14:48:36 PST 2008

[The old thing in question is at
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/forking.html ]

 Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:48:10 +0100
 To: rick at linuxmafia.com
 From: "Christopher Oezbek" <oezbek at inf.fu-berlin.de>
 Subject: Fear of Forking Fanmail

Hi Rick,
   just a thank you note for your excellent Fear of Forking article. I had
been looking for days for a reasonable account of forks in Open Source
projects to cite in my thesis, when I finally found yours. It is truely
great!

Two questions:

   * Did you every think about publishing it at a scientific conference (or
First Monday, which probably would take it unchanged)?

   * You give three reasons for forks, of which your second is "Decide to
stand in the way of progress" and I was wondering if with ECGS/GCC (and
recently TWiki/Foswiki or XFree86/X.org) one could rephrase this reason as
"Restrict contribution".

Greetings from Berlin,
   Christopher

--
Christopher Oezbek | Freie Universität Berlin | Takustr. 9, 14195 Berlin
http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~oezbek/ | +49 30 838 75242 | Raum 008