[conspire] Need help with Adobe photoshop elements 7

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 2 18:30:45 PST 2008

> The text I originally wrote on the Ubuntu wiki now reads[0]:

Very good, sir.  I have some bestiaries listing three categories of
graphics apps on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Apps/ (though it's not all
that well maintained):

# Graphics Apps, Vector - Vector graphics applications
# Graphics Apps, Raster - Bitmap (raster) graphics applications
# Graphics Apps, Other - Other graphics applications, besides vector and
  raster graphics programs

> Adobe is a corporation, not a person, and consequently lacks qualities
> such as righteousness and intelligence. Its evil is the evil of
> _individuals_.

First, the FBI might take it amiss if we menaced (e.g.) John Warnock.
(It's been done in entirely different circumstances, some may recall,
and very much not by us.)

Second, those individuals' evil was wholly in the context of their
corporate agency roles.  Thus the common verbal device of saying Adobe
Systems did [foo].  English-speakers in general do know perfectly well
that Adobe Systems, like all corporations, strictly speaking can itself
neither do [foo] nor any other action -- that corporations inherently
can act only through agents.  I very much doubt that any upthread poster
is deluded into thinking abstract entities have magically gained
corporeal essence while we weren't looking.

In short, speaking of dealing with a corporation to make it feel one's
displeasure _is_ a fine and sensible thing, irrespective of travel up
and down the abstraction ladder.

That having been said, I _am_ always happy to publicise the names of
corporate agents who make and carry out particularly vile corporate
actions.  If you know which specific idiots decided to target Dmitry and
can cite evidence, please let us know.

> In any case, evil does not make a wrongdoer need to be punished; it
> makes the wrongdoer need to repent.

That's _one_ theory of social action.  If you want to try to guilt-trip
Adobe executives into making up for their screw-up, e.g., by making
current [ex-Macromedia] Flash language specs available without NDA, that
would be cool, too.