[conspire] Court Ruling Allows US Border Patrol Agents to Seize Laptops

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 26 01:27:33 PDT 2008

Quoting Eric De MUND (ead-conspire at ixian.com):

> I'm not sure I can say that suspicionless
> searches at the border seem totally wrong-headed.
[rest snipped]

Nor did I so state.  What I said (to repeat) was:  Travelers beware.

Quite a number of corporate policies have already been revised to
account for this pattern of court decisions, requiring corporate
travelers to eliminate all traces of company-confidential files from
the laptops, CD/DVD collections, and flash drives they travel with, and
using Internet-accessible storage for such files that can be reached
when they arrive outside the USA, and can receive any revisions before
the travelers' return.

Linux users might wish to put files they wish to keep away from prying
eyes in encrypted filesystems or encrypted compressed archives, with
safety copies in Internet-accessible storage -- and be aware that US
Customs can and sometimes does seize laptops, discs, flash drives, etc.
for inspection over extended periods.

> I didn't see anything in the decision about the authority of the
> United States to hold property for an indefinite period.

This has been established separately.  What they do is state that it's
being held for inspection.  Owners who petition for the return of
property tend to get simply told "no".