[conspire] Parts is Parts

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Apr 13 10:12:53 PDT 2008

begin Ruben I Safir quotation of Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 03:59:28PM -0400:

> Do I need a terabyte drive and 4.8 gighertz duel core?  Absolutely not.
> What I need is a green machine, low power, no fan, easy on the electric
> bill with a better human interface design.

You can have a badass machine and still be easy on
the electric bill.  It just takes sensible power
management, which the hardware and kernel people are
figuring out now, and the application developers are
figuring out one by one as they make it into the Top
Spot of Shame on powertop.

  dmarti at humulus:~$ acpi
       Battery 1: discharging, 93%, 05:17:50 remaining
  dmarti at humulus:~$ sudo grep BogoMIPS /var/log/dmesg
  Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 3197.85 BogoMIPS
  (lpj=6395705)
  Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 3191.63 BogoMIPS
  (lpj=6383273)
  Total of 2 processors activated (6389.48 BogoMIPS).

And I'm not about to give up the big hard drive.
Besides all your mail, photos, and stuff, you want
to keep a copy of your projects, and with git, you
can keep history locally instead of some Bubble 2.0
service's data center.

Yes, the Corporate Masters want us to switch to
cell-phone-like device/service plans, but I'd rather
keep and bear PCs.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/