[conspire] looking for good FAQ Websites for CPU heatsink/Fan hardware

K Sandoval indigo.kai at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 18:21:47 PDT 2008

Hiya Everyone!

Good News, I finally received a call from Central Computers and they
have the Case, and the Power Supply that I want.

> http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/ccp64648--23cm48np-cooler-master-rc-340c-kkn1-gp-elite-340c-rc-340c-kkn1-gp-cascm-rc340r.htm

> http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=22280&czuid=1206873904625

But they are unable to provide me with the CPU Fan.

> http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=19968&czuid=1206306899234

The salesperson at Central Computer has suggested that I use a
"standard issue" 775 socket fan that normally comes with new systems.
He said they normally cost about $10.00

I looked at one CPU Fan/Heatsink while I was at Central Computers on
Monday, and it was HUGE!  I had no idea CPU Fan/Heatsinks were that
large.  We are talking the size of a Large Starbucks Travel Mug.

I am not quiet sure I like this idea.  I saw Rick mention something
about bearings and I was wondering, can someone direct me to a good
website that I review and research CPU hardware?
I would like to know what to look for before I go agreeing to use some
"standard-issue" and possibly very CHEAP cpu fan/heatsink.

Rick: Are brands like "PQI" reliable choices, too?  Dunno.  Please buy
a bunch and let us know in a year.  ;->  (Information has value:
Mushkin et alii
are able to charge higher prices because of the reputation they've earned.)

Kai: I had one of the engineers at VMware recommend PQI RAM for my
eMachine, and I have had no problems that I can tell with the two 1GB
RAM Sticks currently in my eMachine.  That is why I was looking at PQI
RAM again.

How do you know when you are having RAM Memory Issues?  What kind of
symptoms suggest a RAM Memory problem?

Rick: Ordinarily, you'll have to offer people on Linux mailing lists
significant money to help you with problems related to building an
MS-Windows machine:

Kai: I understand. If I thought I could get Ubuntu running on this
BioStar motherboard without TOO many headaches I might try it.
However since (knock-on-wood) the eMachine is running Ubuntu just
fine, I figure I should stay with what is working, and donate the
BioStar motherboard to my dad's system. Since he need a real basic XP
SP2 system and nothing more.  Later I can order a more Linux-friendly
motherboard for myself during the summer.  In regards to compensation,
hmmm that is a definitely possibility I am willing to consider.

- Kai

--
Ms.Kai Sandoval

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/677/a41