[conspire] ReiserFS

bruce coston jane_ikari at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 15:12:11 PDT 2007

oops, reply on bottom, context 1st.> Thats enough to stop my use, I'm already stuck doing more post install
> fiddling than  I want just with libdvdcss..... the fact that a JFS
> filesystem not cleanly unmounted will refuse to mount at all ever again
> until the journal is manually replayed....

This from someone who swore by ReiserFS for quite some time...
And post-install partition wipe outs changed my mind! ReiserFS needs less fiddling - especially fsck-ing due to the packing. I never needed to do any fiddling on reiserfs. Ext3 safety stinks when some distro bundles an experimental nightly build vs the stable version. Specifically RR4 wiped 9 distro installs off my box on finding the  reiser4fs of my wonderful underground 022 install on sda3 - not the fault of reiserfs. I never manually replayed a journal under reiser.  By default ext3 will fsck much less on most distributions now. Exactly how much fiddling do you think I did on reiser?