[conspire] wedged Debian Sid

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:50:46 PDT 2007

On Oct 29, 2007 12:52 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Is it still the case that Debian's precompiled kernels omit XFS?  (I
> suspect it is.)

Yes, and no. I am running 2.6.22-2-k7 ATM, and according to
/proc/filesystems, only ext3 and reiserfs are available (as "real"
filesystems). I got the idea that /proc/filesystems was the canonical
place to look for what filesystems were supported by the kernel.

On the other hand, there is an xfs module in that kernel's module
directory, so I suspect that if/when xfs support is needed, it'll
automatically bring in those particular modules. On the other (third?)
hand, you need that support in initrd if you are attempting to *boot*
an xfs root file system.

(Or your boot partition can't be xfs, because of a catch22?).

And of course, you need the xfs userland utilities to make that work
as well - and that's not something that automatically gets included.

I did have bruce's gateway box set up as xfs for the most part,
though, and that was a ubuntu system.