[conspire] Distro for Imac G3

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 21:27:07 PDT 2007

On 10/21/07, John Andrews <jla1200 at netzero.net> wrote:
> Hello
>         What would be a good distro to put in an Imac G3 400mhz 320 mb ram.
> Will a Kde desktop run alright? I tried Xfce once and didn't like it

A few days later ---

Well, so far, no luck on a 7.10 ppc anything Ubuntu it seems. And
nothing yet specifically
for fluxbuntu PPC. Unless of course I am looking in the wrong place.

AFAICT, Ross was attempting to install a GG on his PPC box, but it
stopped midway. I wonder what hardware that box is (how much ram,
processor, etc.) It may be a good comparison to your setup, possibly.

I've run KDE in < 256 megs. Presently I have 768, and a (comparatively
ancient) Athlon 1000. KDE could run comfortably enough in 320 megs,
but you're competing with disk buffers (running off the CD) ; that is
going to slow things down. And Rick is quite correct that it has to
load in quite a lot of stuff before you can say "install me".

Meanwhile, I will see if I can find something by cabal time...