[conspire] Ubuntu 7.10

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 19 17:26:01 PDT 2007

Quoting jose tav (josetav at hotmail.com):

> thanks David, I think there is a problem, I have a Toshiba A105 machine
> with a Intel dual core processor which is a 32bit processor, I think? (I
> google it but I couldn't find whether the T2050 is a 32 or 64bit
> processor), just in case can you DL one for the rest of us?

"A105" is actually a _series_ of Toshiba laptop models -- one
portion of the "Satellite" budget-oriented line.  An actual model
number would be something like Satellite A105-S4014, Satellite
A105-S361, etc.  They have diverse CPUs, so you really do need to be
more specific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

If you want to know whether a PC-type (as opposed to SPARC, PPC, etc.)
machine in front of you is capable of x86_64 operation, boot a live-CD
Linux distro with a Linux kernel at least 2.6.16 or later (any recent
one will do), get a shell prompt, do "less /proc/cpuinfo", and see if
the "flags" line includes "lm" (long mode).

Here's /proc/cpuinfo from a laptop machine whose single-core CPU is
_not_ x86_64-capable:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 13
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.26GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 800.000
cache size      : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up est tm2
bogomips        : 1597.44
clflush size    : 64