[conspire] Problem accessing SATA controller

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Mon Nov 5 17:58:13 PST 2007

Hi folks,

I'm trying to use the Silicon Image 3112A SATA controller on my
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, under SuSE 9.3, which is running
on a PATA drive.  My SATA drive is a Seagate ST3500641AS 500GB
with 16MB cache, jumpered for 1.5GB transfer rate, which ASUS
says the board will handle.

I read that this SATA controller chip requires the scsi_mod,
libata, and sata_sil kernel modules.  After the system has
booted up and is running KDE, I inserted modules libata and
sata_sil using insmod, and verified their presence with lsmod.
scsi_mod was already present.

But cfdisk could not access /dev/sda or /dev/sdb, and Yast's
Hardware Information function could not find the drive either.

Do disk controller modules have to be loaded during bootup to be
effective, even if they are not needed for the boot drive?

If so, I guess I have to either compile them into the kernel,
or add them to the initrd and have the loader insert them
into the kernel at bootup, right?

Sorry for the newbie-ish question, but I have RTFM'ed, e.g.,

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

and can't find the answer.  But maybe the problem is described here:

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.add