[conspire] Crashing Problems, Suspect IRQ Mismatch, Maybe BIOS

Tim Utschig tim at tetro.net
Tue May 22 18:04:39 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 03:52:17PM -0700, mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us wrote:
> I'm having problems with a box I just assembled and would appreciate
> help if someone has time to consider this. Very briefly, the mouse and
> keyboard freeze after about one to five minutes of operation.
> Ctl-Alt-Delete is not recognized and a hard reboot is required.
> Sometimes, as it fails, a faint blue stripe appears across the screen.

If you have a null modem cable and another machine with a serial port
available, you could try booting with the kernel outputting to the
serial console to try to catch any kernel messages related to the
lock-up.

For example, append " console=ttyS0,57600" to the kernel command line
via grub/lilo, and have minicom configured (Ctrl+A, P) to match ("57600
8N1") and to capture to a file (Ctrl+A, L) on the machine at the other
end of the cable.

Also you might try, if possible, to pull a memory module or two and see
if the problem disappears.

Oh, and you're not using a proprietary ATI driver by any chance, are
you?

--
   - Tim Utschig <tim at tetro.net>