[conspire] Creating Home Partition

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 3 16:37:13 PDT 2007

Quoting Paul Reiber (reiber at gmail.com):

> Thanks for the pointer to http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome
>
> I've added a reference to this to my "howto" for adding /home to a Linux box -
> http://reiber.org/joomla12/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

I always recommend using "live" maintenance boot media (live CD, Tom's
Root-Boot floppy, whatever) where possible, instead of your "telinit 1"
approach, because then you never have to worry about accidentally
copying the contents of sub-mounts (e.g., accidentally copying /proc
when you copy the root fs), and can be absolutely certain both the source
and target filesystems are quiescent.

> My howto focuses on how to add a NEW hard drive as /home - and now it
> includes a link to the psychocats howto for those that want to do
> repartitioning rather than adding another hard drive.

I think it's hilarious that they set out to write an "easy" recipe, but
then used find and cpio instead of, say, rsync.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      Linux for Intel:  Party like it's 2037!
rick at linuxmafia.com