[conspire] Utility to rescue formatted EXT3 partition & distribution, choice?

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Mar 20 14:14:33 PDT 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:24:09 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> So, years later, I can't help noticing that the people who get into
> trouble during Debian installations, and who complain about long
> package download and installation times at the end of the CD install,
> tend to be indulging _exactly_ those habits.  Whereas, people who
> deliberately start with the minimal system that meets their needs, and
> then apt-get (or alternative) -fetch additions as required, have no such
> problems and find broadband or (in a pinch) 33.6 kbps dialup perfectly
> fine.

Evidently we are saying largely the same thing, but you're saying it about
apples, while I'm saying it about oranges: Yes, when using a CD install
(including a CD-initiated netinstall), not automatically installing a
horse pill is a major time saver, but when even the contents of the
netinstall CD are themselves netinstalled, as in the case of a floppy- or
netboot-initiated netinstall, it no longer matters how much or how little
you install (if you do it more than once) with respect to the role of the
speed of the caching squid proxy in use.