[conspire] Etch RC2 is out (was: Utility to rescue formatted EXT3 partition & distribution, choice?)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 19 18:02:26 PDT 2007

Quoting Edmund J. Biow (biow at sbcglobal.net):

> I probably do not need a jigdo of all 22 ISOs in testing, but then
> again, the netinst may not quite give me a complete system with X and a
> window manager, so I gather that the 1 CD KDE image may be a good place
> to start.

Good news via Distrowatch:

  In separate news, the second release candidate of the Debian
  Installer for Etch has been released: "This should hopefully be the last
  Debian Installer beta release before we release Etch. There are a lot of
  images here, including: a full version of Debian etch/testing (in either
  CD or DVD form) for all architectures and source; a variety of other
  discs: multi-architecture CDs and DVDs, and variants of CD#1 that
  default to installing KDE or Xfce rather than GNOME. All the RC2 images
  are distributed as ISO, BitTorrent and Jigdo files. Please use Jigdo if
  you can, as it significantly reduces the load on our servers and it may
  greatly speed up your download too."

<sigh>  Now, I have to decided how much of that to download and burn.
OTOH, at least some of these new variants paradoxically _reduce_ the
number I need to consider fetching.  E.g.:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_rc2/multi-arch/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-amd64-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso

I wrote:

> There _will_ be much cheering the day Gnash is able to make YouTube
> junkies happy.

swfdec seems more promising.  Note the following airing of prejudices
from the guy I quoted earlier (Benjamin Otte, lead developer on swfdec
and GStreamer):

   PS: Before someone asks: Gnash is low quality, written in C++
   with Boost, requires Copyright assignment, svn doesn't even
   compile and it does less than my current Swfdec, so I didn't
   hack on it.

Ugh.