[conspire] Utility to rescue formatted EXT3 partition & distribution, choice?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 18 18:59:11 PDT 2007

> At last month's SVLUG installfest, Peter was strongly recommending
> against the use of KnoppMyth (well, actually against the use of MythTV in
> general) in favor of a different piece of software whose name I now can't
> recall. If he was your measure of success, that little factoid should be
> interesting to you at least.

Searching around for "MythTV alternative", one finds mention of:

Projects:
---------
Freevo
SageTV
Flava
VDR
PlutoHome

Distros:
--------
epios
minimyth
MythDora

This site seems useful:
http://www.byopvr.com/

[Avoiding fetching Debian DVD images:]

> Note that, although it is smarter, you'll still end up tearing your hair
> out if you do it over something less than a Gigabit Ethernet LAN, or at
> the very least, 802.11n. (Not you, Rick. I'm referring to new people here.)

My experience is based on building relatively minimal systems for
starters, and then adding application, etc., only as needed.  If you do
that, even for a "desktop" distribution then an installation from either
a netinst mini-CD or Disk #1 with supplemental Internet access is fine
with broadband, or even with 33.6 kbps modem Internet connectivity if
you're not in a huge hurry.

Perceptions to the contrary tend to be based on doing the dumb thing,
i.e., pointlessly insisting on starting with the kitchen sink.

> I always think it goes without saying that SMB/NFS/whatever are for LANs
> _only_, not for the Internet. However, in either case, sshfs is damn
> convenient.

Sure.  And I just use those habits (the "Internet-facing" ones)
everywhere, while I'm at it.