[conspire] Utility to rescue formatted EXT3 partition & distribution, choice?

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sat Mar 17 03:44:46 PDT 2007

Rick Moen:
> Ja, you know, rsync's really darned near all you need.  It's pretty
> useful:  "rsync -av [source] [dest]" for copying within a host, "rsync
> -avz [source] [dest]" adds gzip compression for copying across
> networks.  rdiff-backup indeed looks very similar, except being in
> Python and having special provisions for OS X resource forks.

Package: rdiff-backup
Version: 1.1.5-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), librsync1 (>= 0.9.6), python (<< 2.5), python (>= 2.4)

Rdiff-backup *uses* rsync as its transport.  What it adds is the
wonderful feature of the reverse-incremental.  The most recent backup
state is a raw file tree, and going back in time is stored as a sequence
of diffs against this.  Since recent error is the common case for
rstores, this is a real win for your disk backups.

Of course, it requires that your archival backup storage hold backups in
full, but differential tape backups are hard to argue for in most cases
these days anyway.

--
"Man, if everything were object-oriented then rsync           Nick Moffitt
could do this already. Of course, if everything were    nick at teh.entar.net
object-oriented I'd have a bushy moustache and be
wearing flares, which would suck." -- Sean Neakums