[conspire] Utility to rescue formatted EXT3 partition & distribution choice?

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Fri Mar 9 17:32:14 PST 2007

All,

] > I'm looking for a utility to recover a formatted EXT3 partition.
]
] I am terribly sorry to have to give you the bad news:
]
] "ext3 No Undeletion" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Filesystems (item
] it is on ext2")
]
] Note that quoted poster Stephen C. Tweedie is one of the filesystem
] maintainers.

The impossibility of undeleting files on ext3 refers, of course, to
software methods. In case of real emergencies, one needs to keep in mind
the (typically costly) option of hardware recovery, as a minimum of the
last seven writes to magnetic hard disk drives are recoverable. Cf.
Peter Gutmann's classic paper:

    Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

    Peter Gutmann
    Department of Computer Science, University of Auckland
    pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz

    This paper was first published in the Sixth USENIX Security
    Symposium Proceedings, San Jose, California, July 22-25, 1996

Regards,
Eric
--
Eric De Mund              |      Ixian Systems      | ...
email: <ead at ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | ICQ: 811788