[conspire] Linux laptop vendors

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Tue Jun 26 07:02:43 PDT 2007

Bill Moseley:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 08:34:37AM -0700, Peter Knaggs wrote:
> > Along with more hand-waving (and making sure your swap partition
> > is at least larger than your physical RAM in the box),
>
> Is that true?  I had heard that typically 50% of RAM is needed since
> the image is compressed.  Or maybe that depends on the method used to
> suspend to RAM.

I recently heard from some suspend developers at a conference that
compression is one of the features that is still being tweaked for
software hibernation.  Some mused that the cost of CPU proporitional to
disk I/O may make compressed swap an unconditional performance win
sometime in the next few years.

At any rate, consider that once you throw away your block cache, your
RAM may only be half used.  Much of what we use RAM for these days is
caching, due to the massive and widening speed gap between it and block
storage.

--
"If you carefully examine the intercal package (which       Nick Moffitt
was not available for a month depsite emails about it      nick at zork.net