[conspire] On the issue of smoking

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 25 15:56:04 PDT 2007

Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):

> We're tired of finding cigarette butts on the ground in odd places
> (such as the middle of our back yard) after CABAL meetings.

There were three on our property, immediately after the meeting:  I
found one in the front bushes next to the sidewalk, and two on the
backyard lawn, next to the patio.  I'm pretty sure that Paul Reiber
takes care to use the ashtray (steel coffeecan, marked as an ashtray
with Sharpie ink) in the backyard:  I strongly suspect it's our other
smoker attendee, and that he's not subscribed to this mailing list.
And that he's therefore not seeing this thread, or the one a couple of
months ago.

I'll be having a quiet word with him, ASAP.

Not only is throwing cigarette butts onto somebody's property just no
way to behave, period -- but also, we're heading right into both a
drought and into peak fire season, and this is absolutely no joke.

It's NOT permissible to put out cigarette butts on the ground, anywhere
on my property, and that absolutely includes the front yard.  If catch
people at it, there will be severe consequences.

I ask the help of all CABAL attendees in getting the message out:  If
you see people lighting up, if there's any doubt, please politely make
sure they know about the coffeecan/ashtray, and the iron rule against
putting their butts anywhere else.

(Hey, if you're in front of the house, and want to put them into the
gutter or on the street, that's between you and San Mateo County, as
you'll not be on my property.)