[conspire] Linux laptop vendors

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Jun 20 11:18:15 PDT 2007

With one laptop dead and another on the way, I'm looking at a new
Lenovo T60p.  Yes, I realize I can go a lot cheaper (which I've done
in the past) but sometimes you just want to splurge.  (And use the
wife's credit card.)

I'm also realizing I don't have a lot of time to get hardware working
which can take time on a laptop, so considering paying the extra for a
pre-installed machine.  Even with all the help ThinkWiki has
available.

The two vendors I'm aware of are Emperor Linux and Los Alamos
computers.  Any experience with either?

LAC sees considerably less expensive (by ~ $650).
To compare a machine direct from Lanovo with same hardware and 3y "depot"
is $1800.[1]

http://laclinux.com/en/Laptop (T60p bottom middle)
$2100

http://www.emperorlinux.com/mfgr/lenovo/toucan/?tab=details&id=433
$2750  Ouch.

Lenovo also has a "Linux Ready" T60p with older CPU (Core Duo T2500)
and 1GB for $1700.

Quite a bit less expensive, but it's a write-off and it's time doing
other things.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org