[conspire] Network Latency on LAN

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Jul 26 19:45:08 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 02:52:34PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> If you merely didn't include the "lo" paragraph, then this is a false
> trail.

Right, I didn't include the loopback or any other devices ifconfig
shows. (lo, ath0, wifi0).

> > ssh sessions to the laptop exhibit a lot of latency.
>
> Could also reflect lack of reverse nameservice.  But it would then be
> odd if _only one_ Linux box showed this symptom, and other boxes didn't.

Ya, it's only the laptop which is the fastest machine I have.  And
it's not busy at all.  It's just sitting at a gdm login with the lid closed.

Seems like hardware -- but other than errors in ifconfig (which is
shows none) I'm not sure if or where I can look for other indicators
that would measure the latency.  I guess that why those expensive
network analyzers exist.

And it's not consistent -- some times it's not too bad.

Just one of those frustrating mysteries. ;)

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org