[conspire] More fallout from the 365 Main power outage: How not to do DNS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 25 17:37:25 PDT 2007

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:25:28 -0700
To: pigdog at skunk.pigdog.org
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [Pigdog] Pigdog Tech Support: Disappearing DNS entries?

Quoting The Compulsive Splicer (splicer at paroxysm.com):

> Anyone explain this in short declarative sentences that I can understand?

A bunch of companies can't be bothered to figure out how to avoid
obvious single points of failure in their DNS administration.

   $dig -t ns tourcorp.com +short
   ns1.primarydns.com.
   ns2.primarydns.com.
   $dig ns1.primarydns.com +short
   216.219.239.7
   $dig ns2.primarydns.com +short
   216.219.239.8
   $

   $dig -t ns mapwest.com +short
   ns1.primarydns.com.
   ns2.primarydns.com.
   $

   $dig -t ns sfelectrictour.com +short
   ns1.primarydns.com.
   ns2.primarydns.com.
   $

Bonehead error.

> yet our DNS provider (and 14 other ISPs I've tried) resolves our names
> just fine.

Cached data.

One wonders if these the same people who run Six Apart (parent of Live
Journal), or if this is merely an instance of parallel devolution.

   $dig ns1.sixapart.com +short
   204.9.178.9
   $dig ns2.sixapart.com +short
   204.9.178.75
   $

   $dig -t ns livejournal.com +short
   ns1.sixapart.com.
   ns2.sixapart.com.
   $

--
May those that love us love us; and those that don't love us, may
God turn their hearts; and if he doesn't turn their hearts, may