[conspire] [solved] spare 2Wire AC adapter? (output 5.1V DC 2A)

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Sat Jul 21 13:17:45 PDT 2007

Folks,

Eric De Mund <ead at ixian.com>:
] Does anyone have a spare 2Wire AC adapter with output 5.1V DC 2A that
] I could purchase for a couple of bucks for my neighbors who are
] writers and aren't particularly tech-savvy?

It turns out that in addition to HSC (Halted), which Ross suggested, and
Computer Recycling, which Jose suggested, WeirdStuff Warehouse has boxes
in the back section filled with spare AC adapters for $3.00 and $6.00.

    2Wire DSL modem
    ------------------------------
    - P/N: 1000-500031-000
    - Part.No.: GPUSW0512000GD1S

    2Wire DSL modem AC adapter
    ------------------------------
    - DC 5.1V out
    - 2A out
    - plug type-"B", 4.0x1.77 (4.0mm outer diameter x 1.77mm inner diameter)

    Imation replacement AC adapter
    ------------------------------
    - DC 5.0V out
    - 1.5A out
    - plug type-"B", 4.0x1.77 (4.0mm outer diameter x 1.77mm inner diameter)
    - $3.00 used from WeirdStuff Warehouse <http://www.weirdstuff.com/>

The key point here was that a 5.0V/1.5A adapter worked just fine for
this 5.1V/2A device. I was informed by several seemingly knowledgeable
electronic types in the various stores that 5.1V was a common voltage
for various boards, and that one shouldn't stray too far from that
number. Regarding amperage, a device will draw only what it needs, and
an adapter with a lower amperage rating will be fine if the device only
ever draws that much. And that one will immediately be able to tell,
from the blinking lights, whether or not the adapter is supplying
enough. For example, when I tried a 500mA adapter, all three LEDs on the
DSL modem fluttered weakly and very quickly, a pattern that one never
sees. With the 1.5A adapter, the LED's behaved normally. And this
5.0V/1.5A adapter has now worked fine, powering this DSL modem, for 30
days.

Regards,
Eric
--
Eric De Mund              |      Ixian Systems      | ...
email: <ead at ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | ICQ: 811788