[conspire] Hd Question/ ppc

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Jan 18 02:52:14 PST 2007

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:14:06 -0800, John Andrews wrote:

> I want to install Edgy into the above HD on /dev/rdisk0s9. How do I
> do that since the installer can't find it on its own. I think s9
> might need to be inititialized or have an Mbr put on it but I don't
> know what to do. Should I use fdisk, pdisk or diskutil. Any help
> would be appreciated.

If the installer does not use partition 9 automatically when you tell it
to automatically partition free space, the installer is b0rked. To do it
manually, use the Linux pdisk rather than the OS X one (or "mac-fdisk" as
Debian calls it), particularly the "c" command to create a new partition
(yes, really). After that, the partition needs to be formatted, which the
installer should then have an option for, unless it's really, really
b0rked. BTW, rdisk0s9 is not a Linux designation. It would be hda9 for the
internal drive, and sda9 for firewire (you did not say which the drive
is). In review, the command for the internal drive would be:

mac-fdisk /dev/hda

for firewire:

mac-fdisk /dev/sda