[conspire] Jamie Zawinski doesnt like mailman

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 10 19:04:52 PST 2007

Quoting Paul Reiber (reiber at gmail.com):

> Jamie Zawinski <http://www.jwz.org/doc/> says he doesnt like
> mailman<http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman>in this article
> here <http://www.jwz.org/doc/mailman.html>
>
> Thoughts?
> -pbr, always the instigator :-)

I don't really have this time to kill, but I'm a sucker.

1.  Yeah, Zawinski's yet another dinosaur majordomo/Smartlist/Perl
bigot.  Ho hum.  He couldn't fscking well be bothered to figure out the
mail interface to send Mailman commands, which accounts for his core
complaint, such as it was:

People who bitch because Mailman has a Web interface are dumbasses,
who've embarrassed themselves though the implicit admission that they're
too lazy or stupid to notice that it _also accepts all commands via mail_.
(Most embarrassing of all, Zawinski claims in is core complaint that
you can't send Mailman commands to address [foo]-request, which claim
happens to be _erroneous_, suggesting that Zawinski couldn't bother
actually trying.)

2.  Complaining that "Mailman's password mechanism provides zero
security" is being an even bigger dumbass, because it's not _supposed_
to provide security, and all notifications of that mechanism say so.

His rant's been debunked dozens of times -- so I guess _you_ couldn't be
bothered to look for that, Paul.  Delighted that he likes Smartlist, and
I hope he gets it good and hard.