[conspire] branching/derivative conversation - need for one common announce list

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Sat Feb 24 14:37:49 PST 2007

Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2007, at 12:59 PM, Paul Reiber wrote:
>
>> I'm envisioning a list that's members-only-can-post,
>> requires-approval-for-joining, and has a special requirement beyond
>> that - if a coordinator for a given group wishes to be able to post to
>> the list, they must allow that groups main distribution list to be
>> subscribed as a member of this new list.
>
> Sort of a bale-announce as it were. :)

Speaking of bale-announce, when people call SVLUG on the POTS (plain old
telephone service) I (or members of my household) always mention
B.A.L.E. to illustrate that there are a lot of FOSS events around the
bay area and help them find groups near their home or work. Of course I
tell them about SVLUG meetings and installfests also.

B.A.L.E. serves several very useful functions.
* showing people the depth of FOSS activity in our area
* helping them find events close to home or work
* showing that we encourage and support our close cousins in BSD, Unix,
and related realms
* showing that we aren't the only Linux user group around

Mark