[conspire] Kanotix -> Sidux (was: Updating the CD/DVD collection)

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Feb 22 20:50:15 PST 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:00:50 -0800, Adrien Lamothe wrote:

> My experience with Kanotix 2005-04, is that it has better hardware
> detection than Knoppix, even Knoppix releases more recent than Kanotix
> 2005-04. The Kanotix repositories we're frequently unusable and would
> sometimes mess things up. I played around with Kanotix a fair amount. So,
> I keep a Kanotix 2005-04 CD handy for recovery/fixes when things go bad
> with the OSes installed on the hard drive; I recommend keeping one around
> for that purpose. I wouldn't use it as my primary working platform.

I think 5.x Knoppix discs are probably a must-have for recovery/fixes like
that. The usefulness of Kanotix in that capacity is rapidly diminishing
relative to Knoppix. Since unlike either Knoppix or Kanotix, Sidux really
_is_ Debian, the reasons not to use Knoppix or Kanotix as one's primary
working platform just don't apply to it. I would presume Sidux to exude
the full complement of Kanotix goodness, with the best of the more recent
Knoppices thrown in.