[conspire] Happy Lupercalia

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 15 20:43:26 PST 2007

> One can argue that, since this was after the Suez Canal was built, you
> traveled within Asia during that week, and weren't in Africa then at all.

You have a point, but even those erstwhile colonisers the Brits, as
indicated by my 1952 _Britannica_, seem schizophrenic on the subject:
The article on Africa says its northeastern corner is the "Suez isthmus"
-- which I'll point out in passing exists irrespective of the Canal --
while the Asia article says the boundary passes "through the eastern
Mediterranean and down the Red Sea to the southern point of Arabia".
(The entry on Sinai itself ducks the question, further suggesting the
encyclopaedists were not very mindful of this bit of trivia.)

Anyway, I _believe_ I was always taught, in both British and American
schools, that Africa included all of Egypt.  Yes, I know Wikipedia
claims otherwise, but I trust even leaky memories and my encyclopaedia
more than I do Wikipedia -- for whatever that matters, which ain't much.