[conspire] SVLUG General Meeting: Voice over IP and the   Asterisk PBX

mark weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Wed Feb 7 12:32:34 PST 2007

Join the Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) this coming Wednesday to
learn about Voice over IP (VoIP) and the Asterisk PBX available on the
AstLinux distribution. This technology is revolutionizing the communications
industry worldwide.

   Wednesday, February 7, 2007

    Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) using Asterisk.

Dr. Sameer Verma, Associate Professor of Information Systems at San
Francisco State University (http://verma.sfsu.edu/)

This presentation will cover the design of VoIP for a small-business
scenario. It will cover configuration and use of AstLinux using a
bootable CD and a USB Flash key. Time-permitting, there will also be a
demo of TrixBox, which supports many additional features such as
logging, billing, CRM etc.

Dr. Sameer Verma is Associate Professor of Information Systems at San
Francisco State University. His research focuses on the diffusion and
adoption of innovative technologies. He is currently working on several
academic research projects which include the diffusion of open source
software, wireless networks, and geo-spatial systems. In addition to his
academic work, Dr. Verma has worked with companies in consulting
capacity in the areas of content analysis, management and delivery. Dr.
Verma also serves on the advisory boards of some SF Bay Area technology

Dr. Verma's first exposure to Linux was in 1997. He currently runs Linux
on his laptop at work, servers and workstations in his lab, desktop at
home, media center behind the bookshelf at home, and the PDA in his pocket.

   To be announced.

   Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
   VCAFE Facility
   350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
   Mountain View, CA 94043

   webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

   Open Country (http://www.opencountry.com/) will be graciously providing
   refreshments for this meeting.

   restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
   selection at the meeting.

 We look forward to seeing you there!
Mark Weisler