[conspire] Advice on Building a Computer

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Dec 30 19:01:23 PST 2007

Quoting Mark Weisler (mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us):

> I think I'll refine my research and look for LVD-capable SCSI drives, perhaps
> using fewer of them as they may cost more. I appreciate the perspective about
> SATA being the now and future and SCSI largely being a technology of the past.

Minor quibble#1:  "SAS" (not SATA).  Stands for Serial-Attached SCSI.

All the older SCSI cabling standards used parallel-style cabling (thus,
ribbon connectors).  SAS introduces into SCSI-land the exact same
serial-style electrical cabling pioneered by SATA (Serial ATA) over in
lower-rent ATA (colloquially, "IDE")-land.

Basically,
o  parallel ATA has been replaced by its (serial-type) successor, SATA.
o  parallel SCSI has been replaced by its (serial-type) successor, SAS.

The two standards are electrically compatible, such that SATA devices
can be fruitfully used on a SAS chain (but not vice-versa).

> I just thought I'd use the SCSI as the motherboard supports it and I
> had such good luck with SCSI in the (ummmm..) 1980's and early 1990's.

Minor quibble#2:  SAS _is_ SCSI, just with serial-type cabling instead
of parallel, lower voltages, and an updated device addressing scheme.