[conspire] (forw) Re: Linux install help? (For an old CoffeeNet regular?)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 27 21:36:45 PST 2007

> Unfortunately, the space saved by lightening the software load apparently
> pales in comparison to the space saved by the non-allocation of certain
> disk buffers when the bulk of the filesystem is a compressed iso9660
> loopback device. It really makes a big usability difference on
> less-equipped machines.

Er, I was talking about actually _installing_ distros onto systems, not
using live CDs on them.  You're certainly absolutely right that using a
live CD on a low-RAM machine without utter necessity is a very bad idea.

[Xubuntu:]

> I did plenty after the installer finished, and I sped it up quite a bit.
> Ubuntu with GNOME still outperformed it with the same amount of RAM, and
> with far less tweaking.

Interesting, and I'll have to try, myself, some day, for curiosity's
sake.  However, I would not recommend Xubuntu for any machine with less
than 256 MB RAM, to begin with.