[conspire] John Perry Barlow (EFF) and Ron Paul on PBS/NOW Tonight

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Sat Dec 15 09:40:50 PST 2007

Would someone please forward this message to the NewPacifica list?
Pamela Somers doesn't permit me to post there.

This NOW program and an additional interview with Ron Paul can
be viewed and downloaded from this page, clicking the links
marked "video" for each.  Both are worthwhile.

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/350/index.html

That suffices to view the videos.  To download them, if you're
using Linux and Firefox, simply wait until the progress bar of the
viewer (behind the time pointer) indicates that the full file has
been downloaded, find the most recent large file in the /tmp
directory (I use mc to do it, but the right option for ls will
work), which will be named Flash<something>, and copy it to some
other directory before leaving the web page or viewing a different
video.  Rename the file to <whatever>.flv, and play it with mplayer,
which is now able to move forward and back in flvs.  This method
works for almost all flash videos.  The VideoDownloader extension
for Firefox is not needed.  I'm using the latest version of the
Flash plugin, but the previous one (version 7) worked the same
way.  The file lengths are 71,073,256 and 17,870,895 bytes.

If you're not using Linux, find out how to improve your life here:

http://cosmicpenguin.com/linux/

The Flash plugin for Firefox probably stores the flash video file
in some consistent directory in MS-Windows and Mac OS also, likely
with the same filename, but I don't know where.  An expert using
the equivalent program to Unix lsof could find it.  If there is a
standard directory for temporary files, check there first.
In Mac OSX, which is based on BSD Unix, check /tmp.