[conspire] Quick Question 64bit vs 32 bit Kernel

Adrien Lamothe a_lamothe at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 14:34:52 PST 2007

I don't know about Mac OS X, but in Linux you can usually tell by running "uname -a" from a shell. The resultant identification string usually identifies the type of kernel and will show if it is 64 bit.

- Adrien

Jose Medeiros <jose.medeiros at gmail.com> wrote: Good Morning,

How can I determine if I am running a 64 bit Kernel in Linux and or Mac OS X?

I have tried using Cat /proc/version and it does tell me the Kernel
Version and the release, however it does not state
if it is 32 bit or 64 bit. I have also tried using the uname -a
command in Mac OS X, but on a Mac it just tells you the version of
Darwin Kernel.  One of the Sr. Unix admins here at work suggested
using " File " on a binary, and it does state if it is 64 bit, but I
was hoping for a command that offers more detail since if I ran it on
an app that is 32 bit running on a 64 bit OS, such a command does not
offer enough detail.

Any suggestions?

Happy Holidays and Thank you in advance!

Jose Medeiros

conspire mailing list
conspire at linuxmafia.com