[conspire] fsck "differences between boot sector and its backup"

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Dec 9 09:37:50 PST 2007

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 22:17:41 -0800, roger wrote:

> Every time I boot Kubuntu 7.10 on my laptop, fsck runs and reports,
> "differences between boot sector and its backup".

> Do you really want to continue (y/n)? no
>
> check aborted.

This means fsck does NOT run on the Kubuntu filesystem.

> dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
> There are differences between boot sector and its backup.

This is the Windows partition.

> Should I run fsck and have it, "Copy original [boot sector] to backup"?

You never said what the problem was that led you to run fsck in the first
place. By the provided context, I can only assume it was some kind of
Windows problem, in which case, the fsck behavior you observe in Kubuntu
may be dealt with as follows:

1) Boot Windows
2) Run CMD.EXE
3) Type: CHKDSK/F
4) Agree to schedule the check
5) Reboot Windows
6) Boot Windows a couple more times
7) If Kubuntu still wants you to copy the sector after that, do so, if
you're sure you did 1-6 right, otherwise, be prepared to wipe Windows

> Also, why is above /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda?
>
> (This laptop is a Compaq Presario X1000; I *think* is has a 40G *IDE*
> hard drive, not a USB hard drive.)

Because there is no longer a distinction between IDE drives and other
drives.