[conspire] which box for: low end, low noise, low profile?

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Aug 11 01:07:07 PDT 2007

Don Marti <dmarti <at> zgp.org> writes:

> You could get a Via Mini-ITX board.
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-ITX
>
> Some have no CPU fan.  I use one running software RAID
> for my home backup server.  Be sure to use a kernel
> built for 586 or below, since the Via processors
> don't have the full 686 instruction set.
>
> Another option for a low-power Linux box is the
> Linksys NSLU2 "slug" -- an ARM-based appliance that
> you can hook up a USB drive to and run Debian on.
>   http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/

Saw an interesting Socket-479 miniITX board in one of the outdoor miscellany
bins at WeirdStuff. NSLU2 things run Debian so badly, it'll make you vomit
Just ask former regular on this list Calvin Wong. If you really want to go
that route:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Asus/WL700gE

Also, I will be attempting to do something similar to a $70 unit with both
PATA and SATA built in.