[conspire] quiet , and mepis 6.5

David E. Fox dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com
Thu Apr 12 18:44:38 PDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 01:20:46 -0700

> I assume that, in the recent past, you've operated a box with
> sources.list set to "etch".  I personally think that's dumb, but --

So far, so good. Probably, I intend to track "testing" for the
forseeable future.

> That being the case, were you at that time period prepared to deal with
> the kinds of relatively minor, occasionally breakage associated with

Sure. There really hasn't been a whole lot of breakage. A few odd
things with KDE libraries, and a disastrous xfree86 to x.org transition
being the main troubles for me. But those were surmountable after a
little work. I don't for instance really want to keep it pointed to
sid, that testing really does serve as a good buffer.

I've had to deal with breakage in the distant past - I used to run
cooker. I don't have a problem just switching my box to testing at this
point -- but this is the first time I've done this on *debian*. Sarge
was just coming into freeze IIRC when I was switching to a debian-like
environment, first to mepis, then a complete reinstall with testing
since about November of 2005 I think - from jigdo snapshot DVD sources.

I'm sure others have tried to switch right into "testing" once the then
"testing" became stable (i.e., either switch etch to lenny, or etch to
testing) at about the time that the release went stable. I'm just
trying to get a feel whether or not it's problematic to do so now, or
if I should wait a little bit, and start tracking lenny. I figure that
I'll be switching over shortly, at any rate. But I'll keep an eye or
other suitable sensory organ out for problems.

> prepared to deal with those minor upheavels on testing=lenny.  Because
> it'll just be more of the same.

Sure, I would expect that.

> Yes, they'll probably be a little more numerous as the pace of change
> will increase and be rougher for a month or two, but experience with the

OK, then maybe waiting a bit might be a good thing.

dfox at tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.