[conspire] quiet , and mepis 6.5

David E. Fox dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com
Mon Apr 9 19:50:54 PDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:15:07 -0700

> I've pulled down SimplyMEPIS ISOs for both architectures -- and also
> fetched the Debian 4.0r0 "Etch" images for i386, x86_64, and PPC (now

Yes... and there was great rejoicing...

> Seem like Warren Woodford didn't want to work very hard:  6.5 still has
> kernel 2.6.15, KDE 3.5.3, and so on.  Not even worth the download in my

I wasn't even aware there was an AMD64 mepis. Of course, that's not too
difficult to believe, since I don't have an AMD 64 machine and only
used mepis a short while to migrate to Debian.

> Essentially, 3.1 "sarge" has been put out to pasture, 4.0 "etch" has
> taken its place as the stable track, new branch "lenny" inherits the

Have you (or anyone else) switched "etch" to "lenny" yet
on /etc/apt/sources.lst? Is it safe to do so, yet? I've been on "etch"
for sometime (etch rather than "testing"). ISTR some opinions on the
merits of using "testing" all the time vs. using distro codes posted
here. (I did an aptitude upgrade yesterday, that changed a few things,
but I have a couple of packages held back as if they're waiting for
something, which may never happen, since etch is now stable).

dfox at tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.