[conspire] & now ive gone nuts + 64x2

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 8 22:03:01 PDT 2007

Quoting Edmund J. Biow (biow at sbcglobal.net):

> That might be hard to do at Fry's, since the CPUs are all behind a cage
> at the front counter.

Indeed, it does require finding at least one bootable system _with_ one
such CPU.  However, I'd certainly never buy a CPU at Fry's, anyway.  Or
RAM or a hard drive, either.

> All X2 CPUs have X86_64 support and AMD-V hardware virtualization
> support has been including since the "F" steppings of May, 2006.

I've been seeing quite a lot of current Intel CPUs with no vmx flag, FWIW.
(I do a fair amount of hardware testing.)   No idea whether they're
advertised as "X2" or not; I tend to get handed complete systems for
testing, and there's no fluffy literature, just stuff you don't want to
drop on your foot.  (See .signature block.)

--
Cheers,                                      Hardware:  The part you kick.
Rick Moen                                    Software:  The part you boot.
rick at linuxmafia.com