[conspire] SVLUG downtime (or: abusing Drew Bertola's kindness for 7 months)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Sep 17 02:25:34 PDT 2006

this, Saturday afternoon:

  Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:18:42 -0700 (PDT)
  From: Drew Bertola <drew at drewb.com>
  To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
  Subject: [svlug] SVLUG Server going down this weekend...

  Hey Folks,

  Sorry to have to do this, but I need to take the SVLUG server down at
  4:30 pm today.

  The box needs to be pulled from my cabinet this weekend to make room for
  my client's equipment, and I don't have an immediate fallback location
  where I can install it.

  I wrote to officers@ about a month ago and had only one reply (a "sorry,
  can't help" reply).

  If anyone has a _serious_ solution, please email me directly or phone me
  at 408-966-6671.

  --
  Drew

That sort of speaks for itself, but just for additional context:
SVLUG's current machine is a 2U rackmount server donated quite a few
years ago by Google and constructed & administered for quite a long time
by Marc Merlin.  In March 2006, SVLUG president J. Paul Reed, to his
great credit, got around to being concerned with _where the heck the
server is_, and found that member Drew Bertola had, for years, been
donating rackspace and bandwidth in his colo cabinet at Hurricane
Electric in Fremont.  So, Paul Reed and I made e-mail contact with Drew
(a few attempts, starting on March 3), and he eventually replied back: