[conspire] New distros: SimplyMEPIS 6.0-1 DVD, GParted LiveCD 0.3.1, PC-BSD 1.2

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 14 16:16:52 PDT 2006

Quoting Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com):

> But those are all old-school BSDs, and would not be deemed especially
> "desktop"-friendly.  For that, one turns to desktop-focussed offshoots:
>
> PC-BSD:  The most popular.  Based on FreeBSD; has KDE prebuilt.  Graphical
>          installer.  Graphical package tool in development.
>
> FreeSBIE:   Live CD based on FreeBSD, with HD installer.  Has toolkit
>             for designing/mastering your own FreeBSD-based live CD ISOs.
>
> DesktopBSD:  Installable KDE-oriented live CD built using FreeSBIE, which
>              is based on FreeBSD.  Graphical package tool.  In general,
>              is a mainstream FreeBSD with a few extra tools, rather than
>              having more radical departures as does PC-BSD.
>
> RoFreeSBIE:  Installable KDE- or Window Maker-oriented live CD built using
>              FreeSBIE.  This one is from Romania.  (Thus the "Ro".)

Just for completeness's sake:

OliveBSD:  Live CD based on OpenBSD 3.8 with ICEwm and various graphical
           apps.  However, it's not HD-installable.

MirOS Project:  Installable live CD based loosely on both OpenBSD
                (mostly) and NetBSD (a bit).  Aimed mostly at small
                servers and developers' workstations, but "it _does_
                come with KDE or GNOME on request".

NeWBIE:   Live CD "(Ne)tBSD (W)are (B)urned (I)n (E)conomy", includes
          desktop apps.  Based on NetBSD 3.0.

NetBSD Live! CD:  Live CD with KDE and others.  Old:  Based on NetBSD 1.5.2.

There are also a number of other special-purpose offshoots, but that
seems to cover the "desktop" ones.