[conspire] Fc5 Nz

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 11 13:05:31 PDT 2006

Quoting John Andrews (jla1200 at netzero.net):

> Now I.m still trying to figure out the Nzclient thing.The runclient.sh
> has permissions of rwxr-xr-x 1 root root (some other stuff), same as
> Kubuntu.  I tried Kdesu and the error box says can't find Kdesue
> executable.Whatever file was copied to the desktop can't find
> anything.User is root, group is root. What am I missing here? The only
> java package I could find was java-1.4.2gci compat.1.4.2.0-40jpp-83rh.

John --

The JRE & JDK packages offered _directly_ by both Ubuntu / Kubuntu and FC5
will not be Sun's Java implementation.  They will be GNU gcj (GNU
Compiler for Java), the GNU Classpath libraries, etc. -- free software
aka open source implementations of the core parts of the Java toolchain.

Sun has never thus far open-sourced _its_ Java toolkits (though they're
promising to do so in the future).  Moreover, until extremely recently,
they've not even allowed third parties to redistribute that code at all.
Thus, even distros that are friendly to proprietary code have been
prohibited by law from including Sun Java packages, except in very rare
cases where a distro has signed up to be an authorised distributor, and
that's been allowed only for some retail-only distributions that were
not lawful for the user to redistribute further.

Sun has encouraged Java developers, over the years, to make extensive
use of its proprietary class libraries in their Java applications, and
to nonchalantly rely on features present only in the latest Sun Java
tools and nobody else's.  The result is that, though one certainly _can_
write Java code portable across various Java toolsets including the GNU
one, most Java coders just don't give a damn and write code that is
irretrievably Sun-dependent, instead.

> The Kubuntu has a lot of libraries with .java at the end.

Um, a ".java" file is a Java source code file.

> Fc5 doesn't seem to have a gui package manager that I can look at.

You probably want "smart":
http://atrpms.net/dist/fc5/smart/