[conspire] best Knoppix-like (read: live CD) distro for NTFS read/write?

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Wed Oct 18 14:33:56 PDT 2006

Good People,

What's the most reliable live CD/DVD Linux distribution a la Knoppix for
NTFS reads and writes? I want to cut a CD/DVD for a friend who lives
hundreds of miles away and who uses Windows XP Professional. As you all
know, Windows sometimes gets its knickers in a serious twist, and I want
her to be able to have a reliable way to access her hard disk even if
Windows won't boot.

I've already set her system up so that she can boot into the Recovery
Console, and I've already supplied her with Winternals' Administrator's
Pak, yet I'd also like a solution for accessing the Windows disks (read:
NTFS partitions) quickly in order to pull files off of them and put them
on a USB thumb drive.

The reason I'm asking about Knoppix-like distributions rather than
sticking with Knoppix--she currently has a Knoppix 5.0.1 CD and DVD--is
that I haven't actually used Knoppix for this purpose in years and I've
heard that Knoppix isn't reliable and/or safe with NTFS, but that Puppy
Linux is.

Comments?

Thanks,
Eric
--
Eric De Mund              |      Ixian Systems      |
email: <ead at ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | ICQ: 811788