[conspire] Fc5/ media/kubuntu

David E. Fox dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com
Tue Oct 17 19:00:33 PDT 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:45:15 -0700
John Andrews <jla1200 at netzero.net> wrote:

> Daniel,  You finished setting up my Fc5 installation and I have a question to
> ask you or anyone else who can answer. Why did you set up the mount point
> of /dev/hdb6 as media/kubuntu like it shows below?That makes my

If you are in FC5, then your cdrom mounts on /mnt/cdrom, as that would
be a likely mount point. Debian derivatives tend to use /media/cdrom0
or /media/cdrom1. Since you have an entire distribution (Kubuntu) on
your drive then there is also a 'media/cdrom' file that is part of that
distribution, the mount point for the cdrom under Kubuntu. But
normally, you'd only be running one distribution at a time. So, in FC5,
Kubuntu's files are in /media/kubuntu (relative to FC5, since they're
in a different partition that gets mounted there at boot, and FC5's
root partition is mounted at /. The mount point for the root partition
is always going to be /, by definition. So, if you boot into Kubuntu,
then Kubuntu's root partition would be /, while FC5 is, well, wherever
you put it, and will mount automatically if you configured Kubuntu to
do that.

> Does this have something to do with mounting an .iso at /media/kubuntu or
> making a virtual machine?That makes everything /media/kubuntu/foo. Is this a
> mistake or does it effect my Fc5 any other way?

Not really. On the other hand, you could run Kubuntu alongside FC5,
with a virtual machine, if you really wanted to. Alternatively, you
could use a 'chroot' (change root) command in a console or xterm, and
*temporarily* run Kubuntu alongside FC5 in another window. That's not
quite the same thing as a 'virtual session' but should be able to do
things like simple maintenance, maybe apt-gets and so forth while the
machine is still booted in FC5, without having to reboot.

dfox at tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.